Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 01:36:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jerryr@ComCAT.COM (Jerry)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: inbox READ ONLY/not sending

Jerry wrote,

> > > I have no problem with pine under root but users are getting Inbox Read
> > > Only when they get mail through pine.
> > >
> > > The permissions look ok.....
> > >
> > > drwxrwxr-x      /var/mail
> > > -rw-------      /var/mail/user1
> > > -rw-------      /var/mail/user2
> > >
> > > any ideas?
> >
> > pine needs to have write permission on /var/mail. /var/mail should
> > have gid=mail, so pine needs to be install setgid=mail as well.
>
> This makes sense the pine needs write permission but where is this done
> at??

Pine should have permissions to rw to the owner's files when invoked
by the owner. The gid should not matter. I should point out, the
default, "out-of-the-box" setup for FreeBSD has the permissions set as
shown.

> Now to add the the confussion a user can send to root but no one can send
> to a user...?  The message appears to send but it never gets returned.
> The message appear to arrive, a file for the user is created in
> /var/mail but the user get no new message.

Are all of these users on the same machine? Have you hacked the
'sendmail.cf' at all? Have you done anything to /etc/aliases? Do you
make sure to 'newaliases' after making changed to /etc/aliases. Are
people reading the mail from accounts on the machine? Or an NFS
mounted disk? Do users have the MAIL environmental variable set? Is it
set correctly?

What does that last sentence mean? 'It appears to arrive' since there
is a file created in /var/mail? But then you say they don't get a
message? So an empty file is created?

> In the /var/log/maillog I have simalar entries for every peice of mail
> sent to a user.
>
> Nov 25 15:41:57 machine sendmail[1986]: PAA01985: to=<site@domain.com>,
> ctladdr=<root@domain.com> (0/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,
> mailer=local, stat=Sent
>
> Nov 25 15:44:36 machine sendmail[1992]: PAA01992:
> from=<site@domain.com>, size=250, class=0, pri=30250, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<Pine.BSF.3.96.981125154430.1990A-100000@domain.com>, proto=SMTP,
> relay=site@localhost

These look OK. At least nothing is leaping out at me.