Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:17:09 -0400
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        henry@zoo.toronto.edu, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

In message <199606290744.RAA20801@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>you write:
>Jacob M. Parnas stands accused of saying:
>
>> Also, why add an ethernet to the home system, when really you
>> usually just want a point to point connection from your house to the
>> ISP, a route from your home computer to the ISP and a route from the
>> ISP to any default request, and don't have any need for a local LAN?
>
>What's the difference between an ethernet card and a high-speed serial
>card other than the name and the shape of the connectors?
>(Aside from performance, of course)

the cost, I haven't seen a solution based on ethernet for under $1000.
The card costs $300-$400 or so.  Comparable performance and features.
Maybe a missed a $400 complete ethernet solution.  If so, please let me
know.

I'll have an ethernet too, so forget those costs (so I can NFS and backup
over the ethernet, and use some Sun software like Centerline C) over X,

Jacob

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 0411-222-496       [[
>]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
>]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

| Jacob M. Parnas                                                            |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr.                                         |
| Internet: jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net                                     |