Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:40:33 -0600
From:      "Curtis W. Rendon" <rendon@spec.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installing 3.1-RELEASE on a 2.1.5 system

I am trying to either upgrade or new install 3.2-RELEASE onto a system that
acts as a www server that is currently running FreeBSD 2.1.5.

The hardware is a Dell-486 based machine, 32 MB RAM, 2 (sometimes 3) SCSI
hard drives (2*6GB drives), and QIC tape, vga controller, and a 3.5" and
5.25 " floppy.

Basically I have made a copy of the original sd0 SCSI to a new drive, have
downloaded the distributions to sd1, am disconnecting the old drive and
setting the new sd0 to LUN 0 on the SCSI chain, and am attempting to
upgrade or install from the distribution on sd1.

Unfortunately the new system renames the SCSI's to da0, and da1, and does
not seem to recognize the old partitions at all. When upgrade puts me into
the label editor, I attempt to define mount points, and the system
proclaims a bogus partition and reboots.

I tried tarring the distribution to tape, and commence a fresh install from
there (having good backups of the original drive contents), but I get cpio
errors while trying to read /dev/rsa0 (which used to be /dev/rst0).

Oh yes, trying a ftp install, ethernet driver ed1, for the Linksys ethernet
card, is no longer available. I have tried changing the parameters of ed0,
but I am not clear that it is working. I don't see any error messages on
VT2, the card is seen at boot time, but I am getting address resolution
failures when I try to install from ftp.

Curtis W. Rendon

----
Curtis W. Rendon -- Geologics    rendon@spec.com
512-479-7732 X2194      |
SPEC                    | Carpe Diem:   Seize the day!
101 West 6th St.,ste200 | Carpe Beerum: Seize the Beer!
Austin, Texas 78701     | Beerum Carpe: Get the goldfish drunk!
#include <disclaimer.h> | Carpe carpe:  Seize the goldfish!