Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:42:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU fan detection...

Tony Overfield stands accused of saying:
> At 11:48 AM 1/3/97 +1030, Michael Smith wrote:
> >Just to change the subject slightly...
> >
> >The Intel CPUs with integrated fans do indeed have a fan sensor of some
> >sort.  Anyone know how to read it?  It'd make for a good idle-loop
> >check...
>
> The Intel 486->Pentium Overdrive CPU, with the integrated fan, will disable
> the internal clock multiplier when the fan stops.  You could check to see
> if your 100 MHz CPU suddenly seems to be running at only 33 MHz.

I have one of these, which comes with a utility to monitor the fan. You're
suggesting that this just checks the CPU speed?  Ick, forget I mentioned
it.  I thought that the other integrated-fan CPUs had more than two contacts
on the fan connector & thus probably had a status bit somewhere for the
fan...