Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 21:49:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file modes in CVS repository

John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> explained:

> The various Makefiles under /usr/src/etc take care to install the
> files with the proper permissions.  Just copying the files to /etc
> isn't the best way to install them.  In general, it's risky to
> depend on execute permissions being set properly for checked-out
> sources.  Both CVS and CVSup try to do the right thing.  But people
> often accidentally check files _in_ with the wrong permissions to
> begin with.  The best plan is to let the Makefiles take care of the
> details for you.

I see.  I had been merging /etc with /usr/src/etc by hand, but I'm
pleased to learn that it's easier and more organized than I had
thought.  And indeed, Nik Clayton's tutorial, "Upgrading FreeBSD from
source", explains the procedure.  (I'm blushing.)

So, is that the policy in the repository that none of the ,v files
need special permission because something else will set them before
they're used?  I knew that permissions on the binaries are whacked
during install, but I was worried that a shell script might be
checked out and used before it was installed.

So, not a problem, huh?

You guys are just waaay too organized.  :-)

--Mark Krentel