Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:38:39 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI-CA 01-25-01

> I pulled 5.0-CURRENT sources as of Jan 31, 12:00, picking up the bits you
> committed earlier that day (plus amfldio.c from Feb 7).
>
> When I build the kernel with "device acpcica", it wedges my 5000e hard
> (blank screen, dead power button, paperclip reboot) about one second into
> the boot.  Without acpica, everything is copacetic.
>
> Is this a known discrepency that top men are working on, or should I file a
> PR?

Filing a PR against -current is kinda pointless.  It would be more useful
to know where things actually die, which will probably involve having you
boot with a serial console, and possibly do some ACPI debugging.

Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS for your system.  I know
that John Baldwin is running a 5000e with ACPI, modulo some limitations.

> P.S.  Should I be concerned that one of these days I'm going to toast my
> BIOS with this ACPI stuff and have to ship my computer back to Dell?

Not really, no.