Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:59:37 -0300
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgear GA511

Quoting  Randall Stewart <rrs@cisco.com>
Sent on  Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:01:55 -0400

> Anyone gotten a netgear ga511 (gig-e cardbus card) to
> work...

I have a:

re0@pci0:11:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x311a1385 chip=0x816910ec rev=0x10
hdr=0x00 vendor   = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device   = 'RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

Which is a GA511 too, and it also doesn't work, but I get this message as
long as the interface is up or trying to get up, with 2-3 seconds interval:

	re0: link state changed to DOWN
	re0: 2 link states coalesced

The NIC works, as it was being used on a Linux box and a couple of times
with a winxp box, without any issues.

ifconfig also reports it as "no carrier", and the leds on my switch for it
doesn't light up.  sometimes it just work, often not, right after the
interface configuration step during boot.  I found a PR somewhat related to
this issue, but can't find it now.

My solution was to use my onboard NIC (a via rhine ii), instead.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez@{gmail.com,wait4.org}>