Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 95 14:40:22 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, bugs@ns1.win.net, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.org, tom@haven.uniserve.com
Subject:   Re: 4 gig st15150n disk setups

>    Just to clarify what Bruce is saying: If someone were to create a file that
> was >2GB, BAD things would happen. The system currently considers any blocks
> >2GB and <4GB as file metadata (for containing indirect blocks). Not only
> would this certainly cause the machine to panic, it would almost certainly
> cause random filesystem corruption.
>    I'll try to fix as many of these potential problems as possible before the
> release.

I was under the impression that these were atomic block offsets -- NOT
byte offsets.

The appropriate error range would in fact be >= 2^31 (2G) * block_size
to  < 2^32 (4G) * block_size.

For a block size of 512, this is 1 <= x < 2 terrabytes.

Correct me if this is wrong.

The problem is the need to use a signed compare instead of an AND?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.