Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:45:24 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>, Jonathan Ruxton <jonathan.ruxton@satin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot -s

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 at 14:21 SAT, Roman Katsnelson wrote:
> Jonathan Ruxton wrote:
> >
> > Hello - I was wondering if there is an easy way to disable the -s
> > (single user mode) option at boot time for security reasons, to prevent
> > someone from changing the root password as specified in section 8.20 (
> > Eek! I forgot the root password) of the FAQ?
>
> Hi.
>
> I asked that question once (not too long ago) -- it didn't make sense to
> me that it should be that easy to change the root passwd. However, you

Well, a machine can never be secure from the console.  Even if you could
disable -s, someone could still boot from a floppy, mount your root
filesystem, and change root's password.

Moral:  Don't allow free access to the console.  Ever.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878