Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:41:02 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot get IP working between associated ath0 & AP, what to do?

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:44:49PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > >=20
> > > You haven't firewalled everything off, right?
> >=20
> > Good call! I certainly hope not. I haven't touched the AP since
> > getting it working with the same laptop in Windows, at least none of
> > its firewall rules.  I'll triplecheck asap though.
>=20
> Make sure you're not running a BSD firewall too, like the one I had a
> few days ago and kept failing to obtain an address from my wireless AP
> at home because of the paranoid ruleset I was using :)

First I confirmed that it really wasn't a firewall issue. Then of
course I found out it was a PEBKAC; I used this command to configure
ath0:

# ifconfig ath0 ssid FOO wepmode on wepkey 0xBAR

which showed an association but did not allow packets to be sent. The
correct incantation is

# ifconfig ath0 ssid FOO wepmode on wepkey 0xBAR weptxkey 1

which, I presume, also sets the wepkey to be used for transmitting
packets after destination. I must say that I don't really see the
value of specifying the WEP key and then not using it, but then again
this is not my OS :-)

Thanks for thinking with me, Giorgios!

--Stijn

--=20
"Diane, 2:15 in the afternoon, November 14. Entering town of Twin Peaks.
 Five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state
 line. Never seen so many trees in my life. As W.C. Fields would say, I'd
 rather be here than Philadelphia."
		-- Special Agent Dale Cooper, "Twin Peaks"

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa--