Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:09:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Eldredge <neldredge@math.ucsd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <ml.freebsd.hackers@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: General questions about virtual memory

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, FreeBSD Hackers wrote:

> If anyone is willing to help me understand this, I would greatly appreciate
> it.  I would also value your input if there are other resources (people,
> mailing lists, books, web pages, etc.) that you want to recommend instead of
> taking some time to help teach me.

As a slightly less orthodox suggestion, I learned a lot of this from the
"practice" side rather than the "theory" side, and it seems like maybe
this is where some of your questions lie.  In addition to a textbook, you
might find it useful to get a copy of the manual for your favorite CPU,
which will explain, at the level of assembly language, how all these
features work.  (They are usually available free on the manufacturer's
website, though you may have to hunt around a bit or register for a
developer program or something.)  You can read it in conjunction with the
FreeBSD kernel source to see an actual example.  I found this approach
very instructive.

--

Nate Eldredge
neldredge@math.ucsd.edu