Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:08:46 -0500
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        RS <khalel1@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help installing ports

Wednesday, February 07, 2001, 9:44:04 AM, you wrote:
R> Everytime I try and install a port/package from
R> CD-rom, I get this error message:

R> fetch: ftp.FreeBSD.org: Host name lookup failure
>>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>>> port manuall into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try
R> again
R> *** Error code 1
R> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/cucipop
R> *** Error code 1

R> HELP ME PLEASE!
R> TIA

R> =====
R> **R.S.** (pronounced R-dot S-dot)
R> "Look at all the pretty C shells"

Are you connect to the internet as you do this?  I'm sure someone will
let me know if this is misinformation, but I believe that starting
with 4.0 that there are no files on the CD-ROM and that they all need
to be fetched by either the makefile or manually.

So, here are the solutions:
1) log onto the internet, then run the install
2) download the .tar.gz or .tgz file into /usr/porst/distfiles
   since that is where the makefile looks, also, and run the install

Good Luck,
Neill
freebsd@nc.rr.com