Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:45:55 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: general multiarchitectural build question....

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> my i386 build fell over this morning because it found a .depend that
> depended on stdio.h for alpha, or:
>
>  -DKEYCAP_PATH="/usr/share/misc/keycap.pcvt" -I/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include keycap.c
> keycap.o keycap.po keycap.So: keycap.c /usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include/stdio.h \
>  /usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h \
>  /usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include/machine/ansi.h \
>  /usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include/ctype.h \
>  /usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/include/runetype.h keycap.h
>
> Now, I share basic source (NFS mounted) for i386 && alpha (hey, it's one
> spot to CVS update...)... Is a shared read-only source tree supported, or
> am I abusing my luck here?

The problem is probably caused by the (former) bug that
usr.sbin/pcvt/keycap was built on an Alpha by the libraries target,
while pcvt is not built on an Alpha. The bottomline is that libkeycap
was built in the source tree. The bug has been fix recently by simply
expluding usr/sbin/pcvt/keycap from the libraries target on Alpha. You
may want to check the source tree for leftover Alpha files.

I had hoped to be able to share the object tree as well, but this
requires /usr/obj/${MACHINE_ARCH} as the prefix for all builds, not just
the cross-builds. That way you can build an Alpha system on i386 and
install it on an Alpha from an NFS mounted object dir. Fortunately, it
only a symlink away :-)

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl