Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:20:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using segmentation to manage memory in FreeBSD

--- John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 09:05 am, Ravi Krishna
> wrote:
> > Hi all!

[snip]

> Segments just provide a base + offset into the
> virtual address space that is
> backed by the TLB mappings, so to make this
> practically useful would be a lot
> more work than would first appear because your
> segments have to map virtually
> contiguous memory.

If I had a processor with no MMU, but only memory
protection and a segment register, can I port freebsd
onto that architecture? I mean, use the segment
register to provide for non-conflicting process
spaces.

thanks
-kamal

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant
kamalp@acm.org

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is:-).

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!