Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:47:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world success

> 	Woohoo! Since most of messages here lately are of the nature "this
> or that is broken" I just want to let everyone I did make world just fine
> a few hours ago. System was install from latest BETA earlier today, then
> CVSup later in the day and make world:

What a coincidence, I just finished my first successful make world too,
but it wasn't on an x86 box:

>>> elf make world completed on Wed Sep 23 00:51:53 GMT 1998
root@beast-> uname -a
FreeBSD beast.cdrom.com 3.0-BETA FreeBSD 3.0-BETA #0: Wed Sep 23 01:45:58 GMT 1998     root@beast.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEAST  alpha

This is also with CAM and soft updates, so there's nothing really
serious missing from the alpha tree (though a functioning sysinstall
would be nice - I'm working on it, I'm working on it :-).

Lots of milestones hit this week!  I agree, a very good job by our
developers.  3.0-RELEASE may have some rough edges when it's released
(and it wouldn't be a true dot-zero release without them), but it's
also going to represent one heck of a lot of innovation and I think we
have a lot to be proud of with -current.  If you'd asked me just 3
months ago whether we'd be switched over to ELF, self-hosting on the
alpha and completely CAMified at this time, I'd have probably bet
against it. :-)

- Jordan