Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:02:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/resume in -current: still no joy

> Oooh, I've got a big clue!  But first ...

No need to go on, your box is *exactly* like mine.

> Now here's the clue.  I can make it fail like that reliably when the
> AC adapter is plugged in.  But if I unhook the AC so that it's using
> battery power, suspend/resume works perfectly every time!  Plug in the
> AC, and it fails again.  Unplug it, and it works again.

Ahh, this is a 'known' bug.  Basically, the APM bios won't allow itself
to powered down with the power on (for whatever reason), and because we
don't handle the error condition (NO, I say I'm *NOT* going to supsend
dammit!), we 'break'.  So, the moral of the story is, don't suspend
unless the APM allows you to. :)

The other moral is 'always check your return error conditions and deal
with them appropriately', but I think we all knew that one anyway.

In summary, it should work fine as long as everything 'happens nicely',
but when the BIOS fails to power down we don't handle things well.

Another item to add to my TODO list. :)

Nate