Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jarrod <jarrod@lost.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRYPO dist installed outside US

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Jarrod wrote:

> Short of reinstalling the system and adding the accounts again, how can I
> remove the crypo dist which shouldn't on there and bring the system back
> to the same passwd format our other FreeBSD (3.4-STABLE though) servers
> are using.  Or is a full reinstallation required?

All you need to do is point the /usr/lib/libcrypt.* symlinks at
/usr/lib/libscrypt.* instead of /usr/lib/libdescrypt.* where they are now.

i.e. boot single-user, remove the symlinks, and recreate them with ln -s

Then reset any passwords which were created in DES format using 'passwd'.
Now your system will be MD5 ("$1$....") only again.

> Are there any penalties or legal issues using crypto in Australia?  I'm
> not quite sure of why its a big deal during installation.

You're quite allowed to use it :) In fact it's a good thing to install the
crypto dist: you now have SSH support almost out of the box [*]. The only
downsides are:

1) DES passwords get automatically selected, and DES passwords suck
(relatively speaking)
2) You're using the semi-crippled US version of OpenSSL, instead of the
better international version. See [*]

[*] See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/openssl.html

Kris

----