Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 11:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM install instructions in FAQ??

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> > The driver may not like where you've put the CD.  Can you move it onto
> > the primary controller?
>
> I'm not really sure what you are requesting here, plug it into the
> primary IDE controller on the motherboard?  Where would the primary HD
> that is currently plugged in there go at that point?

Yes, plug it into the primary (1st) IDE controller.  Make it master/slave;
make the hard disk master and the cd slave.

Each IDE channel can support up to 2 drives.  When you go from one disk
to two, you need to change the jumper settings on the drive to reflect
its new status.  Check your hard disk guide for how to reset the jumpers.