Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 95 16:39:46 -0700
From:      Andrew <andrew@micksquadra.its.utas.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where's my Network Gone? :-(

Hi,

I have just installed freebsd from the mirror site at the physics
department of the university of sydney. The OS FTPed OK but now when we
boot it says mount: /usr/users: no such file or directory
Filesystem failed startup aborted
Enter pathename for shell or return for sh:
I can hit return and I get to the shell.

I can then type 'mount /usr/users' and don't get an error.

I thought I could just ignore that until later and get it's networking
configured. Unfortunately any network function says it can't reach
network. The unix is on a LAN with quite a few IBM PCs running NOVELL who
can all use the internet. Our gateway is a CISCO router 3000 connected to
our LAN via an ethernet repeater. The CISCO is connected to an ISDN line.

At startup a lot of things 'aren't probed due to a conflict with ed1' but
ed1 is probed first so I guess it works.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew