Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:00:33 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling kernelf for IPF

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:45:50PM +0000, fozekizer@attbi.com wrote:
> question.  i'm adding IPF to a fresh install of 4.6.
> after i add the IPF options to the kernel, i do the
> following, right?
>
> cp OLDKERNEL NEWKERNEL
> run /usr/sbin/config NEWKERNEL
> make depend ../../compile/NEWKERNEL
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Try reworking the above line to:

 cd ../../compile/NEWKERNEL
 make depend

> make
> make install
> reboot
>
> apparently my machine doesn't know how to make depend
>
> let me know if i'm screwing up, please?

The reason you see that message is that there is no Makefile in the
directory where you invoked the command (at least, no Makefile that
defines a "depend" target).  The appropriate Makefile lives in the
compile/NEWKERNEL directory, which is where you need to call the make
depend from.  The Makefile here knows about the other targets needed
for making a new kernel, too, so make && make install should be called
from here.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \