Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   parallelizing fsck and startup scripts for jail

Hello,

I have a server with 12 vn-backed filesystems and 12 jails to start.  The
problem is, when the server crashes, even though the machine is only down
for 10 minutes, it takes about 10 minutes to fsck all 12 vn-backed
filesystems.

Then, adding insult to injury, once in a while one of the jails takes a
few minutes to start instead of just a few seconds.  Maybe sendmail hangs
for a bit when it starts, or a startup script is bad and something times
out...anyway, I want to accomplish two things:

1. parallelize the fsck'ing at boot - I want all 12 fscks to happen at one
time - I start the fscks out of a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d - now I
could have 12 scripts, but that doesn't solve the problem because they
still run in order.  Is it possible to solve this by backgrounding the
fsck -y process, or will they still run in serial ?

2. after fsck is finished and we move on to jail startup, I want that to
be parallel as well - all 12 start at the same time.  Again, not sure how
to do this since the /usr/local/etc/rc.d mechanism is a serial one - they
run in order of the commands in the scripts, and the scripts run in
alphabetical order.

Suggestions appreciated.

PT