Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:32:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: for i in disks

>  * Nah, it's actually pretty trivial.  I would, indeed, just iterate over
>  * the available nodes in /dev.  When devfs comes along, it'll just get
>  * more efficient.
>
> Well yes, but what I meant to say was that there are 96 available
> nodes in /dev due to wired down devices, but the number in each
> machine could be as little as 16.  That's not very efficient. ;)

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over as few as 80 failed system calls.
How many times do you call select()?

Seriously; trying to find any "better" solution is just silly.  It's
not as if it takes any time for the system to work out that the disk
you've tried to open doesn't exist.  If you get ENXIO then it's either
not there or not online and you move on.