Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 18:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gregory_D_Moncreaff@ccmail.ed.ray.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   A better kernel random() ??

        I need a random (psuedo or otherwise) number generator
        for use in kernel network protocols (collision backoff,
        jitter, etc).  I looked, at libkern/random.c and the
        seed is constant.

        I am looking for suggestions/algorithims for getting a
        more random sequence of numbers.  The two machines are
        running the same kernel and are timed synced.

        I am thinking that a utility program could be written
        to change this seed value via a kernel memory write
        based on some combination of information, such as
                process id,
                address of a network interface,
                ???

        Should the result of such a computaion have any numeric
        properties:
                number of bits set, oddness, not divisible by a
                single digit prime number, etc?

        Any other, better hopefully, ideas?

thanks,