Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:00:25 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Peter N. M. Hansteen" <peter@bgnett.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd brute force attempts?

--------------enigD417007199443C5EFD3C6637

Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org> writes:
>=20
>> I've found a few things based on openBSD's pf, but that doesn't seem t=
o be=20
>> the default in BSD either.
>=20
> Recent BSDs (all of them, FreeBSD 5.n/6.n included) have PF in the base=
 system.
> 'overload' rules are fairly easy to set up, eg=20
>=20
> table <bruteforce> persist
>=20
> #Then somewhere fairly early in your rule set you set up to block from =
the bruteforcers
>=20
> block quick from <bruteforce>
>=20
> #And finally, your pass rule.
>=20
> pass inet proto tcp from any to $localnet port $tcp_services \
>         flags S/SA keep state \
> 	(max-src-conn 100, max-src-conn-rate 15/5, \
>          overload <bruteforce> flush global)
>=20
> for more detailed discussion see eg http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/b=
ruteforce.html

The really nice thing about this pf based technique is that it does not
need to scan log files (like most of the other brute force blockers). So
you can use it on a gateway firewall to protect a whole network of
machines behind it.

Although in that case having a whitelist of IPs that are always allowed
to connect would be sensible.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20