Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:15:33 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, fenner@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: all ports committers urged to opt in

On 19 Sep 2002 at 0:08, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 03:59:21PM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > How about sending it automaticly to the maintainers of the port
> > > too?
> >
> > Some time in the not so distant past, Bill Fenner
> > <fenner@FreeBSD.org> use to do this. How about consulting him about
> > experiences on doing this.
>
> No, this is different. (all unless I've missed a service provided by
> Bill)
>
> Bill Fenner checks if all the ports are still fetchable and build.
> Every week again. It's a great service and I love it.

Bill and I are looking at using the FreshPorts system to notify the
maintainers.  On FP, it's known as the the "Maintainer notification"
report.  It is not implemented yet.

> What Dan does is look for errors caused by the commit. "Sanity
> test". I don't know what it means, but I think it's a quick check if
> the port builds.

Yes, that's right.  FP extracts information from the Makefile using
"make -V PORTVERSION -V PORTREVISION -V MAINTAINER...".

> More or less directly after the commit. Once.

Yes.  So the FP database can be updated with the above information.
If that "make" results in errors, FP will notify any opt'd in
committers.

> But stil, I think that it also should be send to the port-maintainer.

It would be easy enough to CC the email to the MAINTAINER as well.
--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job: