Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:10:54 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Wasp King <waspking2003@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop a freebsd server from responding to pinging?

On Nov 30, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Wasp King wrote:
> 1. How do I stop others from port scanning a server?

Marcus Ranum suggests using wirecutters on the ethernet cable.
If the server is internet-reachable, then it can be port-scanned.

Less drastic measures than removing it from the network entirely
would including configuring a firewall to block all ports except
those absolutely required for the necessary functions which the
machine needs to perform, and "hardening" the OS to reduce the
potential exposure.

> 2. is stopping the response to pinging enough?

No.

> 3. how to do I stop the server from responding to pinging?

Use a firewall like ipfw or ipf to block ICMP traffic types 0 & 8:

	ipfw add 1 deny icmp from any to any icmptype 0,8

--
-Chuck