Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:02:17 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <code@apotheon.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Retiring portsnap [was MITM attacks against portsnap and freebsd-update]
References:  <CAHAXwYCGkP-o0VvMXj5S8-KNA45aTvy%2BsrjDL_=8-x9Dza5z5Q@mail.gmail.com> <53472B7F.5090001@FreeBSD.org> <CAHAXwYDdxbRimwjvPf%2B5odYUUN4u4rNzdEkEmWwZN97mi1riEg@mail.gmail.com> <53483074.1050100@delphij.net> <CAHAXwYDhxmEwxtBLyZF1R1F8XENsq4FbpzVy89BN8f%2BRYU74KA@mail.gmail.com> <44bnw5uwmm.fsf@lowell-desk.lan> <20140414144155.C55844@sola.nimnet.asn.au> <CAHAXwYBXz80JXhYRknJQoimzU37ZMPjNJ5E2hn8FD0qL6PhKMw@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:36:28AM -0500, David Noel wrote:
> > Indeed it is not.  David's solution - which seems to amount to removing
> > portsnap and herding the cats at home to DTRT about using svn securely -
> > relies on other cats being as smart and aware of the ramifications as he
> > is - a highly questionable proposition especially for the numerous more
> > naive users that portsnap renders the process of securely upgrading the
> > ports tree just about as simple and consistent as it can be.
>
> On the one hand I do get what you're saying. On the other I don't know
> that you're fairly characterizing the typical portsnap user. Building
> ports from source is not something I would think a novice FreeBSD user
> would do (make can be--and often is--an absolute nightmare!). Rather,
> I would imagine a novice would be using something like pkgng.

When I was a novice FreeBSD user, lo these many many moons ago when the
world was young and neckbearded Unix gods roamed the earth, I installed
from source using the ports system.

> > David, perhaps your obvious talent for auditing the portsnap code and
> > its server-side configuration might be better applied to remedying any
> > perceived vulnerabilities in conjunction with present and past security
> > officers and teams?
>
> Thanks. I'm happy to, and it's on my to-do list, the only problem is
> that I'm swamped with other projects and it's been sitting on that
> list for the past 2 years. It seems to be a similar problem for Colin
> and the Security Team. I'm hoping that by bringing this bug to the
> list that someone with more free time will be able to patch it.

Would you be willing to put the time into training up someone to do that
work?  I'm a bit of a fixer-upper, but I am willing and eager to
contribute.