Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:37:34 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        polytarp@cyberspace.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: Wu-ftpd FTP server contains remotely exploitable  off-by-one bug

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:31:46PM -0400, polytarp@cyberspace.org wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 mike@sentex.net wrote:
>=20
> > At 02:40 PM 31/07/2003 -0400, polytarp@cyberspace.org wrote:
> >=20
> > >Buffer overflows which work on Linux do not work on FreeBSD.
> >=20
> >=20
> > You need to qualify that statement.  Yes, there are some that will not =
be=20
> > relevant and the exact same exploit code will not work.  But  "Buffer=
=20
> > overflows which work on Linux do not work on FreeBSD" is dangerously=20
> > misleading.... In the case of wu-ftpd there have been several issues in=
 the=20
> > past that affected both FreeBSD and Linux.  Same bug, different exploit=
=20
> > code, both vulnerable.  That being said, I havent had a chance to revie=
w=20
> > this one so I dont know.
> >=20
>=20
> No, you're wrong. Even a different COMPILER -- let alone a different
> OPERATING SYSTEM -- can make buffer overflows not work.

1) Can !=3D will.  In most cases these vulnerabilities are fairly
OS-neutral.

2) It is true that a given exploit for the overflowable buffer will
not usually work on a different OS, but that doesn't mean that one
cannot be easily developed to exploit that OS.

Kris

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--