Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 16:45:51 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Ryan Masse <rmasse@mastery.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail relaying

Thus spake Ryan Masse (rmasse@mastery.ca):

> Alright i need everyone's opinion to as how i should go about running
> my smtp server. Here's my situation... I'm running fbsd 4.1.1 stable
> using cucipop and sendmail for mail. The server is being used as our
> company mail/webserver hosting a couple of our domains and hosting all
> of our mail. Now we have a ton of sales people that are constantly on
> the road and need to send/check their mail (mostly using outlook). Now
> obviously this is coming down to a sendmail relaying issue.. atm i have
> added people's isp host and ips into an access file determining who can
> relay and who can't, cause want to prevent open access for people to
> spam of our box =\. This is becoming a huge pain in the ass and the
> sales people can't send mail. I setup a webmail program and made pine
> available through telnet but there still bitchin. Anyone know a remedy
> to my problem and stickin with sendmail?

If the client MUAs support SMTP AUTH, you can install the Cyrus SASL libraries
to provide controlled relaying.

You can also implement SMTP after POP, but it's a kludge and leaves a
small window open when someone could theoretically use your server(s)
for spam.

http://sendmail.net/?feed=usingsmtpauth

Nick