Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:24:04 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        User &Robert Falanga <rfalang@twcny.rr.com>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring a HP Laserjet 1018 USB printer on KDE

User &Robert Falanga wrote:
> First  am new using freebsd and would like help getting the printer
> configured. After installing and staarting CUPS. When I go to SETTINGS >
> Peripherals > printers I get:

That is not the way to configure printer on vanilla  FreeBSD. If you
want to use something like that
install PC-BSD or DesktopBSD.

To install the printer  do the  following
1. Alter permission on the device nodes  chmod  0660  /dev/ulpt0

2. chgrp cupsd /dev/ulpt0

3. Add yourself to cupsd group by editing file /etc/groups

4. Move the commands of the native lpd printing system so that you can
use CUPS commands
mv /usr/bin/lp          /usr/bin/lp.bak
mv /usr/bin/lpr         /usr/bin/lpr.bak
mv /usr/bin/lpq         /usr/bin/lpq.bak
mv /usr/bin/lprm      /usr/bin/lprm.bak

4. Restart cupsd for instance by adding cupsd_enable="YES" into your
/etc/rc.conf at the same time
disable lpd daemon by adding lpd_enable="NO"

5. Reboot

6. Point the web-browser to http://localhost:631 to add the printer

NOTE:

1. Your printer is using foo2zjs reversed engineered driver which you
must compile from ports. People
have reported mixed results with  the driver! You have to compile the
driver before you start adding the printer.

2. You might need to disable your firewall or at least port 631 which is
used by Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)
which is in turned used by CUPS.