Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:50:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@james.hwcn.org, jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Subject:   Re: how many tk version do oyu need...

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > under Tcl8 yet.  Effectivly you are suggesting that we update the Tcl
> > package itself to a new version of Tcl on behalf of the original author.
>
> right...

Yes.

> > Is this wise?

Yes.

> may not be wise, but then let's leave each port use the tk version it
> was released for -- it is less work, less risk of introducing bugs, and

Some of them were intended for tcl74.

In a lot of cases it's just a matter of changing "75" with "80".
For some, it may be a matter of updating the port to a newer
version.

Where it does involve patches, you are encouraged to submit your
patches to the author.  If it doesn't work under FreeBSD with the
standard Tcl/Tk that FreeBSD uses, it's a porting problem.  Just
as if a port uses gmake instead of pmake.  Sometimes it's easiest
for us to correctly fix the problem with patches, sometimes it's
easier to load an emulation module (gmake, in the last example).

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk