Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:09:56 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz, Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: terminal escape exploit (was Re: cat exploit)

On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 09:19:42AM +1200, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:
>
> > 	It seems to me that a lot of people missed the point of one of the
> > warnings that someone else posted in response actually.  Don't use cat
> > routinely to view files. Use more, or better yet less since less doesn't
> > view binary files by default.
>
> It's not just cat that you've got to worry about.  tail is another one.
> How many people routinely use 'tail -f' to monitor log info that includes
> potentially tainted content.
>
> The problem is not cat.  It's xterm and other similar terminal programs.
>
> Andrew

The problem is TERMINALS.

You can't bitch that an EMULATOR does exactly what it is claimed to do -
emulate the REAL DEVICE.

This "exploit" is so old its crusty; it is quite possible to do this on a
VT-52 (yes, a real Vt-52, you know those terminals that weighed about 100
lbs, had a dinky little screen, were made by DEC and haven't been seen in
some 15 years?  Yes, those.)

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)
Voice: 312-803-6271 x219