Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:40:32 -0800
From:      Brian Nelson <brian@pocketscience.com>
To:        Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is BSD slower?

Cliff Rowley wrote:

> I dont know the ins and outs of either the hardware, or the programs
> you've mentioned, but I can clear a couple of things up ;)
>
> > I'm trying to explain to a pal who tried BSD recently why this might
> > be.  He also had problems with running netscape w/o a.out X binaries
> > (probably because he didn't use the port, right?)
>
> afaik Netscape is aout anyway, so you need the libraries.
>
> >  And he also said he
> >  had to reboot to use newly installed libraries, that ldconfig did not
> >  work.  He's an advanced Unix/Linux user, so i don't know what i could
> >  do to help him
>
> If he doesnt know how to use ldconfig, he cant be that advanced.  The
> problem was most likely that the either the aout directories were not in
> his ldconfig path, or that he failed to specifiy aout when using
> ldconfig.  i.e. ldconfig -aout -R, perhaps used with -m and specifying the
> aout directories.  If he'd have read the ldconfig man page, he would have
> known this ;)

Advanced Linux == "Can have at most 5 years experience being around
Linux, would be most likely 2."

Advanced Man Page Reader is a required course to be an advanced UNIX
user.

> I'm not trying to insult his knowledge you understand, just giving you
> something to tell him, so he doesnt think it's FreeBSD's fault he couldnt
> set up netscape...

Oh, come now.  if anyone claims to be an advanced anything they should
know how to use basic functionality.  Stop being so nice.  =D

  -Brian