Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 23:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        David Ramahefason <rama@easynet.fr>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NEED HELP ON DPT INSTALL

On 02-Jun-98 David Ramahefason wisely wrote:
> well,
> we've received a DPT today and tried to install freebsd
> on it (2.2.6 with boo-dpt.flp).
> First what are the recommended setup under the DTP mgr tool
> to build a RAID 5 array ??
> It seems that the array has to be initialize with fdisk to be
> recognize by freebsd...
> So after finding this, we've rebooted under fbsd, the
> partition and label part seem to work fine, but after this
> the setup just hang on the cpio stuff from the boot disk...
> Does anyone has an idea about this ??

Hi
 first off, the card and the drives must be initialized via a dos boot and it's
dos drivers disk. It takes a moment to pick up, but you get the hang of it. af
ter booting to dos, insert the dos drivers disk and type  dptmgr. This will let
you set up the RAID style that you want and then add drives to it.

 Then you need to install FreeBSD via the dpt-boot.flp image. However.... Before
 rebooting after the install, you must drop into "alt F4" prompt window and buil
d a kernal with the DPT support. The Generic kernel does not have it yet.

 BTW: I have yet to be able to do a make world with the DPT card and RAID 5. Wor
ks great mirrord though.

  Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/