Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:01:13 -0500
From:      Jeff Sapp <jasapp@pelennor.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   windows file shares

Hey, I've got a couple questions regarding windows / netbios / smb
or whatever it actually is. I'm guessing this is a pretty commonly
asked question, but I spent a couple hours looking for an answer
but I didn't find one. So feel free to point me towards any
documentation on the matter. :)

I've got a new computer we're setting up as a firewall, it's FreeBSD 4.3
using IP Filter 3.4.16. Everything has been working fine for me on my
unix workstation, and today I asked one of the NT guys here to put
his box behind the new firewall and see what he thought. For some
reason he can't access any of his windows file shares on the other
side of the firewall. He can ping the windows computers, just not access
any of their file shares. He tried using both their netbios names and
their ip address, neither worked.

Ipf right now doesn't have any filters loaded, so the computer passes
packets back and forth freely.

I thought the firewall would just forward the packets on to the windows
computer, but apparently I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Jeff