Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:40:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 + Apache + PHP

> I too want to manage hosts exclusively with binary packages.  In the abse=
nce
> of a working a Poudriere implementation, it appears I will have to instal=
l it via ports. :(

I don't see how Poudriere would help in this situation (but I also don't kn=
ow how Poudriere works). I just have one real server and a couple of dev vm=
's. It doesn't feel it would be worthwhile to have a local Poudriere repo, =
update it, rebuild the packages, and then finally update my couple servers,=
 when I couldjust "pkg upgrade" on each server (if I can go 100% packages).=
 Am I missing something?

Dale

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> So far as I am aware, php5 must be built from ports only if you need to =
build mod_php for apache. If you use php-fpm with apache you can use binary=
 packages for everything. I'm trying to work through a packages-only system=
 with nginx, php, php extensions, and MariaDB/MySQL) all installed using bi=
nary packages. I'm hoping that using pkg to upgrade binary packages will be=
 a huge time savings over "postmaster -af", but the critical thing (from wh=
at I've read) is to have a 100% binary packages system (with absolutely not=
hing from ports).
>>=20
>> Certainly it has been shown hybrid solutions are possible, but I'd rathe=
r be a dumb user and spend more time on app dev.
>=20
> I had hoped that I could install mod_php (or at least the shared objects =
in libexec/apache/) via package, without having to resort to ports.  I too =