Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:53:20 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        "Ylitalo Juha . O" <juha.o.ylitalo@nokia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: with esd xmms and mpg123 will complain about /dev/dsp

On February 14, 2001, Ylitalo Juha . O sent me the following:
> I used "/dev/MAKEDEV snd1" to create necessary devices for audio
> (check end of message for details). If I use mpg123 or xmms to play
> mp3 without esd, everything works nicely, if I start esd and I get
> those esd beeps from speakers. However when esd is running, mpg123
> will result "Can't open /dev/dsp!", and xmms will result :
>
> Here is promised extra information about my system:
> $ pkg_info -aI | grep xmms
> xmms-gnome-1.2.3_1  X Multimedia System --- An audio player with a Winamp GUI
> $ pkg_info -aI | grep mpg123
> mpg123-0.59r        Command-line player for mpeg layer 1, 2 and 3 audio

Looks like you may not have the esound enabled versions of xmms and
mpg123 installed.

On my system:
> pkg_info -aI | grep mpg123
mpg123-esound-0.59r Command-line player for mpeg layer 1, 2 and 3 audio
> pkg_info -aI | grep xmms
xmms-esound-1.2.4   X Multimedia System --- An audio player with a Winamp GUI

If you're building these from the ports collection, try defining
WITH_ESOUND=yes when you do the make. I'm not sure if the packages
have esound enabled or not.

Also, in XMMS, you'll probably have to switch from the OSS driver to
the eSound driver in the output configuration.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a19>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--