Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 18:55:35 GMT
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        def@groggy.anc.acsalaska.net
Subject:   questions list

i apologize for asking this question,
as i have asked it a few times over the
years with replies i could not:

1) find resolution to (being told my ISP wasn't doing some reverse lookup).
2) erased by "fetchmail" defaults.
   (which i have since resovled by replacing "fetchmail" with a ftp script).

FBSD 4.3

freebsd-questions bounces mail back:

a) when you connect with a dynamic PPP account
   and use your local sendmail (instead of the ISP MTA).

b) when you are on a private ethernet behind a "ppp -nat"
   connection and use your machines local sendmail
   (instead of the gateways MTA).

and it's very irritating to say the least.
i know it is for SPAM control purposes,
but i think there are better ways
to control spam without punishing
legitimate emails from a) + b) above.
ie - the "blackhole" lists (maybe - dunno - don't use it)
or simple grep scripts looking for identifying keywords
such as FREE! or "to be removed from" or whatever.

anyway - if there is a simple technique to avoid
mail bouncing without using remote MTAs in
situations a) or b) above, i would like to know.
my guess is freebsd-questions uses the sendmail
option (or whatever MTA) to do reverse name
lookups on the MTA sending the email - which
personally - i think is silly and inappropriate,
considering a) + b) above.

with brief reliefs here and there, it has been
a continuing problem for a few years for me,
without clear and firm resolution.

to send this i had to telnet into my ISP
and send the mail from a remote server.
and i do not wish to reconfigure my local
MUA to switch between local and remote
emailing with every email.

?  thank you ...