Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:02:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mount /chmod question

You do realize that this is a MAJOR security risk.

To be able to write to that drive as a normal user, use:

chmod 777 /dos

This will allow ANYONE to write to /dos. Beware that this is a major
security risk!

What I recommend is that you make a group, and addusers to that group
that you want to be able to have write access to /dos.

Do do this, add this line to /etc/group:
dosw:*:101:root,otheruser

Add the users that you want able to write to /dos to that group.

Then do:
# chown root:dosw /dos
# chmod 775 /dos

To be more secure, and deny all read access to any other users, do this:

# chmod 770 /dos

This will probably be the best way to do it.

Hope this helps.

--bhishan