Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:50:00 +0700
From:      Nguyen Manh Tho <nmtho@dit.hcmut.edu.vn>
Cc:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Need your help in Webmail

Dear Sirs/ Madams,

Firstly, I am terribly sorry about this mail. I know that this is the FreeBSD
user group, but I need your help in webmail system, the system that I have to
develop now in FreeBSD system.

I am Nguyen Manh Tho, lecturer at Department of information Technology,
Hochiminh city University, Vietnam. I am member of database group, but this
semester I have some important tasks that not belong to my specified field.

I am writing the Web mail system that support for students communicate with
staff and others through the Intranet by Web environment. I found the free
source code for web mail in Perl, and now I am re-writing it to improve its
security. I now stack in the following step:

- After user login with user name and password, the browser open the mail page
in which user can check mail, see and delete. I encode the sessionid to hide
the sessionid + username + password but this sessionid is still appear in the
URL of the browser. If I copy this URL and Paste to other browser, I can read
mail in this browser without reenter username + password as in Hotmail ot
Yahoo. I would like to know how to encode and hide these information
(sessionid+username+password), and
force the user must to reenter username/password as they copy the URL to other
Web browser.

- I also would like to encode the password and username of user because now if
I use cookies, I still put these informs into source pages (if I do not put in
URL). I am afraid that experienced hacker can decode all the username/password
and will make all thing worse.

If anyone know the webmail source that can be compare to Hotmail and Yahoo or
their principals, please let me know or help me solving these problems.

Thank you very much in advanced, I am looking forward your response,
--
Nguyen Manh Tho.
Engineer, Lecturer, Database Group,