Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:24:26 -0700
From:      Rob Ballantyne <ballanty@sfu.ca>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Open Firmware help, please.

  Hi,

  I've been attempting to get a handle on OF but I'm having trouble
doing what should be a trivial task.

  I've been trying to: allocate a block of storage, open the zip drive
and read block #0 of the zip into that storage.  So far 'alloc-mem'
seems
to do just fine allocating storage.  When I try:

>  " zip" select-dev

  I get:

>  " zip" select-dev DISK-LABEL: read of block0 failed
>
>  can't OPEN device

  Is this because OF expects a non-Macintosh type disk label?  If so
what is the format?  Is the disk-label specified anywhere in the OF
documentation?  I could attempt to write a standard label using dd from
OS X.

  Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Rob