Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:54:55 -0500
From:      Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster feature suggestion...

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>>mergemaster always asks if you want to install a file which doesnt exist
>>in /etc already. Why cant it also ask for removing a file which doesnt
>>exist in sources? Then the user can decide if he/she needs that file or
>>not then remove it safely.
>

> If you'd taken the time to read the list archives you'd have noticed that
> this very question had been addressed in an earlier thread within the past
> 6 weeks. And the root cause was the same.
>
> The 'officially sanctioned' upgrade path is a binary upgrade or fresh install,
> unless you're a developer, or just someone who enjoys an interesting life.
>
> BMS

Well, regardless of what is the official method, it doesn't mean we (as
developers) need to make life hard for ourselves.  There are a couple
times I would have found such a feature in mergemaster to be useful
(mainly as a sanity check).  It's not a showstopper, just a "nice to have".

Of course, this is no replacement for not reading UPDATING or following
the mailing list.  I think that is Bruce's main point.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@mindspring.com