Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:03:32 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Miroslav Pendev" <pendev@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rogers@home UNIX problem

"Miroslav Pendev" <pendev@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have local network at home and I have just installed Rogers@Home
>Cable Modem Internet access. I was thinking of FreeBSD Firewall
>and NAT box to connect my home network to Internet.
>
>I have install FreeBSD 4.3 with two NICs, and they both works
>just fine - I can ping others in my home network from the
>FreeBSD box (from the both nics).
>
>But I have problem in connecting the FreeBSD box to Internet -
>I have try to ping something in Internet but there was only
>request timeout messages or even nothing!!!

I don't know about rogers@home but my ISP requires that only one
nic, for which they know the MAC address, is used to connect to the
cable modem.

>(I know my Roger's IP address, net mask, gateway. I use DNS
>server from other IS provider.)
>
>When I put all this (IP, MASK ..) in Windows box - windows have
>internet connection and I can ping everything.
>
>But from FreeBSD - nothing. I have try to change the NICs
>(wich one is inside and wich outside (IP's, mask and gateways also))

Have you tried using the nic from the Windows box?

>And there is one more problem:
>
>I have Web cam wich is with build in UNIX (Idont know what kind)
>- she is standalone, and I have problem in pinging this camera from =
internet=20
>even when she is connected DIRECTLY to the cable modem.

She sounds nice :)  Make/model number?  I expect you can find relevant
info by web-searching.  It probably works on specific port numbers if
it really is TCP/IP aware.

>When someone from internet try to ping the Web camera or the
>FreeBSD box I can see the blinking light for incoming data in
>the camera's NIC indicator.
>But the packets never get outside my modem (or gateway)
>
>The same is for FreeBSD box also. It looks like the IP packets
>never get outside my cable modem (or gateway) from FreeBSD and
>this WebCam, But they get out from Windows. ?!!?!?!

Did you have to install a particular driver for it in Windows?

>Is there somekind of MTU settings or ... I dont know .... for
>blockin all packets that are not comming from Windows or
>just this Cable modem is not working.

Make sure you have gateway_enable=3D"YES" in /etc/rc.conf

>(I have other FreeBSD box connected to Inernet with cable modem
>(in the other place (Toronto) and he works perfect!!!
>but this FreeBSD box that is in Mississauga just can not
>get outside from the gateway ;-(

Looks a good place for a web-cam.  Will it be available to the public?
Try to make it as good as this one:
http://www.thebiginter.net/webcam_main.htm#

John.