Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:26:11 -0700
From:      Gramarye Root <>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange make behavior in 3.0-BETA-elf

I've just updated my system from 2.2.7-STABLE to 3.0-CURRENT/BETA-elf
and have been rebuilding ports to turn them into elf's.

However, the ssh port dies on my system w/ the following error:

  cc -pipe -Lrsaref2/source -o ssh ssh.o sshconnect.o log-client.o \
     readconf.o hostfile.o readpass.o  tildexpand.o clientloop.o \
     canohost.o  idea.o  rsa.o randoms.o md5.o buffer.o emulate.o \
     packet.o compress.o  xmalloc.o ttymodes.o newchannels.o bufaux.o \
     authfd.o authfile.o  crc32.o rsaglue.o cipher.o des.o match.o \
     arcfour.o mpaux.o  userfile.o signals.o blowfish.o deattack.o \
     -lgmp -lz  -lrsaref -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib  -lutil
  /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open -lrsaref: No such file or directory
  *** Error code 1

Now, rsaref2/source/librsaref.a is listed in the dependancies for ssh,
but when I look, I see that make never went down to make it!

A little more investigation revealed this:

  # make nonesuch.a
  `nonesuch.a' is up to date.

where there is no file "nonesuch.a" present at all!  I've even run this
in an empty directory to eliminate the possibility that it was the
"Makefile" in that directory that was causing the trouble.

This isn't really the proper behavior for this is this?