Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:30:14 GMT
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/75387: [ata] feature request: support of Promise SATAII150 TX4 wanted

The following reply was made to PR i386/75387; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To: =?utf-8?q?S=C3=B8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org, sebastian.holmqvist@gmail.com
Subject: Re: i386/75387: [ata] feature request: support of Promise SATAII150
 TX4 wanted
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:26:55 -0500

 середа 16 листопад 2005 17:12, Søren Schmidt Ви написали:
 > Hmm, in 6.0 and current the SATA2 promise chips are supported,
 > however 3Gb is untested as I have no such equipment here. However,
 > your chipid is unknown to me but you coud try to add it like the
 > pdc40718/719 and let me know if that works.
 >
 > I'll ask promise about that chip, can you verify the chip type by
 > reading whats printed on its back please ?

 It is already deep inside my desktop system -- I can't reach there...
 The "marketing name" is SATA300 TX2plus (one PATA and 2 SATA channels),
 although TX4 can't be very different (it has 4 SATA channels instead of 2):
 After applying the patch, it is identified as:

 atapci1: <Promise PDC20775 SATA150 controller> port
 0xc000-0xc07f,0xc400-0xc4ff mem 0xf7051000-0xf7051fff,0xf7000000-0xf701ffff
 irq 9 at device 11.0 on pci0

 `pciconv -lv' says:

 atapci1@pci0:11:0:      class=0x018000 card=0x3d73105a chip=0x3d73105a
 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Promise Technology Inc'
     class    = mass storage

 IMHO, the driver should be smarter in identifying devices, you have not seen
 before as compatible with something, you have. Anything unknown, with Promise
 being the vendor and 'mass storate' being the class should be examined as an
 ATA controller, for example.

 You can be very conservative enabling features, and even print a ton of
 warnings, but it should be possible to install/boot FreeBSD with such
 hardware. Is this not doable?

 Yours,

 	-mi