Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, "J. Weatherbee - Chief Systems Engineer" <root@acromail.ml.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid Routing Situation

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Can you give me an example by possibly sending out netstat -r and
> ifconfig -a i have a 255.255.255.192 maybye I want to have like 8
> computers on the segment between firewall and router (unprotected) and the
> others 56 on the second segment (protected)....

Subnets always work in powers of two. Since you have a /26 (62
addresses), the largest subnet you can make of that is a /27 (30
addresses).

The traditional way to get the unequal division you want is to put
the /26 on the `inside' interface and put, say, a /29 (6 addresses)
taken out of that /26 on the `outside' interface. On this host the
more specific /29 route will override the less specific /26 for
the hosts on the /29. Then you proxy-arp on the /26 interface the
hosts that are really on /29, so that the folks on /26 believe that
these machines on the /29 are on the same network as they are.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates