Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:01:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to lock down modules

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jake Burkholder wrote:

:> :Can you explain the wierd logic that was added to linker_file_unload?
:>
:> Ugh, yes, this is kinda ugly.  Essentially this is a result of hacking
:> this back and forth between where we should be holding SLOCK over.  This
:> is exactly what I wanted to discuss this b/c prior to making this change,
:> I had a much more simple strategy here (but was dropped due to changes to
:> a better strategy for kern_module).  We discussed before about possibly
:> having two sets of lookup functions -- internal and external -- perhaps
:> this is a better solution?
:
:Hmm, I'll have to look at it more closely.
:
:>
:> :Thanks,
:> :Jake

I uploaded a new patch (tested somewhat) to:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~arr/modlock.diff

this takes care of 2 of the 3 issues you brought up -- but, I'd enjoy
inspection of the atomic set and addcalls I used.

I'll relook at the 3rd issue (ugliness in kern_linker) and see what I can
figure out if I don't hear from you.

Thanks,
Andrew

--