Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:47:48 -0400
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mailproblems that suddenly occured today.

We have 2 mailgateways that started to behave really strange today.

Box1:		FreeBSD 3.2-S	(sendmail,qpopper,nat,ipfw)
Box2:		FreeBSD 3.3-S		--- " ---

The 2nd box is tracking stable as of today.

First the second box (located in Sweden) started to behave funny, people in
the private addressspace (internal side) couldn't fetch their mail. You
could send and pop via the outside interface just fine (this box has been
running fine for 6 months now).

Then I decided to configure box no 2 not only to redirect mail to the MS
exchange box but to have it behave just like the 1st box .. and gee, the
same problems.

The error I get from qpopper is:

Oct 21 18:39:46 nexus popper[2787]: @[192.168.1.205]: -ERR POP EOF received

every time somebody tries to fetch their mail, the important thing to
remember here is that nothing has changed - I have punched myself bloody
trying to figure out some reasonable explanation for this, but I think it
has something to do with ipfw/nat since it clearly works OK via the outside
interface.

Sendmail gives these wondeful messages:

Oct 21 17:50:47 nexus sendmail[2443]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
[192.168.1.22]

Please help me out here to find a sollution - I am in the middle of
replacing a MS Exchangeserver here when all of this happened (on two
locations) .. I don't want FBSD getting a bad rep here, not since they were
kind enough to allow me to shove the Exchange to the junkyard.

Thomas Uhrfelt