Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:38:43 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Arpith Jacob" <arpith@geocities.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Config (newbie): sound, internet

On Wednesday February 07, 2001 08:05, Arpith Jacob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get freebsd 4.1 installed and working on my pc.
> I installed from a cd which came with "the complete reference,
> freebsd"-- greg lehey.
> I am a newbie :)
>
> I got it installed, but don't have the sound working/cdrom working.
>
> I have a /cdrom dir, but nothing gets listed when I try to list the
> contents. Do I have to mount it? How?

Yes you have to mount it. You can't mount an audio CD though.
mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
should mount your cd if it is not an audio CD.

> Do I have to compile the sound support into the kernel? Help will be
> appreciated.

Yes.  See the handbook chapter on sound.  It is pretty good.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/sound.html
Then see the chapter on how to recompile a kernel
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

You should probably ask these question in separate emails.

> Finally, I am trying to connect to the internet. I used kpp which
> comes with KDE. I can connect to the internet, get my dyn. ip etc.
> But, I can't access any site at all. What haven;t I done?
> It can't resolve any hostname I think, and it waits indefinetly for a
> response when I type in an ip address in netscape's location bar.

problems with DNS perhaps.  Did you put in the DNS server information
correctly?

> Also, I tried to setup apache, but it wouldn't start saying that it
> couldn't recognise the local machine's hostname. I had to add the
> "ServerName localhost" directive in httpd.conf to make it start.
> Yet, I can't connect to localhost.

You need something like this in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               tim.foo.bar

Just replace the tim part with your three part domain.  It can be made
up, just make sure it is consistent with what you picked during th
install process.

> Sorry for the long mail.

No problem.  You should probably send unrelated questions in different
emails.

						Tim
--

/""\