Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:16:20 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 11:51:15AM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Please forgive me, but this question springs from my over-developed sense of
> caution :)
>
> I have a box installed from the 4.3 CD set.
>
> root carrot:/# uname -a
> FreeBSD carrot.mip.co.za 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21
> 10:54:49 GMT 2001     jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> i386
>
> Is it safe for me to run cvsup with a 'sup' file like this:
> ------------------
> # SUP file for 4.x stable
>
> *default tag=RELENG_4
> #*default host=cvsup.za.FreeBSD.org
> *default host=cvsup2.za.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>
> src-all
> ------------------
>
> In other words, is it quite safe to assume that cvsup will correctly update
> my system which is actually 6 months AND one version number out of date?

CVSup does not 'update your system.' CVSup will grab the source code
you need to upgrade the system. Your supfile will get you the latest
4.4-STABLE source code.

CVSup'ing alone really can't hurt anything. Once you have the code,
you can use the various 'buildworld' and 'installworld' targets and
still not worry about breaking anything... Now, doing the
'installkernel,' 'installworld,' and mergemaster(8) is where you need
to be concerned.
                                         cjclark@jhu.edu
                                         cjc@freebsd.org